Skip to main content

A story of Progeria child.

I believe in a quote by Sam Berns that says,"Even though I have many obstacles in my life, I don't want people to feel bad for me." 

Hi Readers!
I'm Rashmi, 25 years old and an ex-student of Psychology Hons of Delhi University, India.
This story took place when I was 21-22ish. I was living in an imaginary world. Where life was full of happy endings and good people. I never thought something like that would ever happen to me. Until and unless that incident happened. My life turned into a 360° angle in one day. Unfortunately, I witnessed something I never visualized.

It was the summer season, I was in the 2nd year. I was heading to my University. I was sitting on the bus and waiting for it to move.  There came a woman of 32 years of age, with a jute bag and a traveling bag. She wasn't from Delhi. The light brown jute bag was light-weighted. Yet, the traveling bag was a bit heavy that she was struggling to lift it. I thought of helping her. But, she gave me a peculiar look. I vanished the bubble of help. But, we exchanged a bizarre smile. Meanwhile, she managed to lift the bag. She was wearing a torn saree. And, strangely a gold chain. Her hair was tangled and messy. She sat beside me. There was an unpleasant smell coming straight from her bag. I covered my mouth with my scarf. By that time I guessed, something wasn't right.
I could puke anytime soon. I was nervous and scared.
Everybody was suspicious. But, after 2 minutes, no one cared. Later, people got engaged in their activities. Though, I was the only one who couldn't take off my eyes from that lady.
I asked her (by pointing my finger at her bag) are you shifting and where are you from?
She answered that she came to meet her sister. But, she didn't tell me, where she came from.
Though, I trusted my gut feeling that she lied. She hesitated while speaking. So, things were cleared. She was certainly hiding something.
I decided to miss my lecture. And, aimed to follow up with her. The bus stopped after 5-6 km. She got down from the bus. So did I.
Shortly, I witnessed something which left me in awe. The jute bag had bloodstains. I couldn't believe my sights. I got a little closer to that woman. This time that lady saw me. Immediately, she got aware and afraid.
I called the police station and illustrated everything to the officer and shared my current location.
The lady entered in a slum. There was a sickly smell all around. I was struggling to balance myself in that area. I saw the same jute bag was on the ground. I opened up the bag. What I saw was heartbreaking. I got goosebumps. I cried and puked.
It was a newborn baby boy. His mouth was stuffed with clothes. His nose was bleeding. His body turned blueish. He was dead by then. He was born with "progeria" a rare genetic disorder.


I was huffing and sobbing and screaming for help.
I collected my courage and took that jute bag. I saw the cops coming in my direction with that lady.
The officers told me that, the lady was missing for 2 days. Her owners sent her to Delhi from Lucknow. She was bribed to kill this baby.
I was numb. I didn't go to college that day. I was sitting at the bus stop. Quite, shocked unsettled and restless.

That day, I saw a different world. The heartless planet. People who run for perfection. A planet where people bribe to kill their child.

Somewhere, I was thanking my parents. At least, they didn't kill me. I was born with progeria as well. My parents raised me with pride. I never felt like I was different.
Life isn't the same for everybody. I thought everybody is as good as my parents. Unfortunately, that was my myth. This world cleared my vision. That day, I met two versions of parents.

That time, I decided to save lives. And started saving 70% of the money from my side hustles and pocket money for these children. I am connected with a few NGOs. The kids I meet, are powerful and full of life. They are so inspiring.
Speaking as a community,  even though, we get tired physically but we never fail to help people. We are strong and a blessing to this world. We don't care about this society. We are we and we are beautiful. We manage in the worst situations with smiles. We are an inspiring community.
That was my story to share with you.
Thank you for reading.

-Rashmi

If you have a story just like Rashmi then, mail me at navoditabhinder96@gmail.com
Your story will be published on "Stories To Share"
Keep reading, keep sharing and keep inspiring!


Comments

  1. Tell the woman that she is damn strong and people are damn proud of her and that she is creating a beautiful world.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 habits that will boost your personality.

John Dryden rightly said, We first make our habits, and then our habits make us. Some people try to develop new habits every day. But, they fail terribly as they lack consistency. I have a foolproof plan that won't only boost your personality instantly but also make you the influencer in your squad.   Note: To influence others you need to work on yourself first.    Here are 5 habits that will boost your personality. Wake up early. The first and foremost tip is to wake up early and see the first light. I have seen people who try to polish every possible habit. But, they don’t detect their wrong sleeping patterns. To wake up early you need to sleep early. Also, make your to-do list the night before to have a productive day. Educate yourself. The actual knowledge that will benefit you in real life is when you educate yourself based on your interest. Sit with yourself in peace and analyze what are your preference s . According to your interest, set a goal and work towards it every si

A letter to you

Dear Champion,  I am your new pen pal. I was dying to tell you that you are amazing. I know you feel anxious, scared, over-think and get nervous. Every time you step on the stage or go for an interview a droplet of stress hit the ground or whenever you interact with people you doubt yourself before the conversation. Today, I want you to vanish those clouds of negativity from your head. But, do you know that you are harming your mental health in the process? You overthink a lot of things. I want to tell you it's not important to analyze every freaking thing. It's not mandatory to think negatively before stepping forward that's not how to live a life.  One of my close friends says, when you overthink your future, you support your enemies. You satisfy them by ruining your present.  I understand that you try your best to be perfect. But in your present time, I want you to walk with pride with your imperfections and polish yourself while fully enjoying the

Her Second Life

The Lady Burning Inside Out She sees the real face behind the pretty face She knows how it feels to see the real face The Ones she thought won't leave her is now far away including Her tears leaving her place She was drowning down when someone ABRUPTLY saved her and gave her second life Second Life with some wounds and with some ugly facts She feels something disgusting every time she steps out from her place She knows how it feels to survive with scars  No one notices her pain  No one notices her  s igh She carries a smile to conceal her pain and Deep down she hopes to bury her scars too the way she hides her pain Every Time Her Soul Quiver When She Imagines That Day  That Black Day of her life which demolished her  Living with the pain is killing her Every Time , Every Second , Every Day , Every Night  The Pain which she suffers with Eyes Open And Closed But This Time SHE DECIDED TO BE STRONG To Be Strong For Herself , For Her Soul